Protecting Older People in Ogmore
Older people living in Ogmore are at greater risk of an electrical fire in their home than any other age-group with over half of fires in Welsh homes caused by electricity. This is according to leading charity – Electrical Safety First and Swansea University.
Ogmore Assembly Member Huw Irranca-Davies is calling on Ogmore residents to check on older relatives/friends/neighbours to make sure they are staying safe and warm during the winter months.
Speaking at the Senedd after an event hosted by Electrical Safety First, Huw commented: “Lack of awareness of electrical safety and concerns about the increasing cost of repairs can see many homes become major safety hazards. Older people understandably want to live independently in their own homes for as long as possible and they should be supported to live at home safely. It is essential we keep an eye on older friends and relatives in relation to electrical safety and focus on preventing accidents in our homes”.
The Charity Electrical Safety First have developed a range of resources to help check the safety of a property which include a mobile phone app and a link to find a registered electrician in your area. You can find out more about electrical safety for older people at: http://bit.ly/2ABsRTj