• cathybevan8

Outdoor improvement grants supporting Ogmore’s local businesses throughout lockdown


As lockdown restrictions continue to ease, more and more businesses across Ogmore have received funding to provide Covid-safe outdoor settings, to keep their customers and staff safe.


The Outdoor Improvements Covid-19 Recovery Fund is provided through a joint effort by Bridgend County Borough Council, the Valleys Task Force and the Welsh Government.


Commercial property and business owners have been able to apply for grants up to £10,000 in order to adapt their outdoor spaces to provide a place for customers and members of the public to congregate, rest, or enjoy food and drink. The grants can provide funding of up to 80 per cent, where the other 20 per cent would have to be supplied by the applicant.


So far, many of Ogmore’s local businesses in both Bridgend County Borough and Rhondda Cynon Taf have benefitted from the scheme and further applications are currently being evaluated. See list below:


The Potting Shed

Wiggley's Fun Farm

The Royal Oak

Oddfellows

Pencoed RFC

Maesteg Cricket Club

Tondu RFC

The Federation Bar

The Old Bakery Café

Deano’s Café

The Welsh Deli

The McNamara Arms

The Cross Inn

Casey’s Café

Talbot Dental Practice

Iced Gems

The Fruit Bowl

Crumbs

The Corner House

The Old House

The Blaenogwr

Llangeinor Arms

Maesteg Celtic Ltd

Heol-Y-Cyw Workingmen’s Sports and Social Club

Heol y Cyw RFC

Maesteg Cricket Club

Sian’s Dance School

Bryngarw County Park

Our Welsh Farm Caravan and Camping

Athlete Kitchen

Bryncae Arms

NEL Creative

High James Home and Garden Maintenance

Barrmore Vet Centre

Lanelay Hall - hotel


Huw Irranca-Davies, MS for Ogmore welcomed the funding and emphasised the importance of making businesses safe to reopen. “It’s good to see so many businesses in Ogmore benefitting from these Welsh Government and local authority grants so that when they open up again, their businesses are ready for new and old customers having adapted and improved their facilities. This should also help with making covid-safe premises, so that people can feel confident to go out for a coffee and a cake, or to a family venue, or for a drink, and support their local businesses as soon as they are open again.”


Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Cllr Charles Smith also emphasised the importance of checking for permissions. „Businesses are reminded that when applying for or receiving a grant such as this, you must also remember to check to see if planning permission is required for any improvements that you may have planned.”